Special Occasion Beef Short Ribs
Cookware: Lifetime® 12” Oil Core Electric Casserole Skillet and Cover
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 120 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 oz. (2 large) carrots
- 10 oz. (1 large) sweet onion
- 3 lbs. beef short ribs
- 1 bottle (750 mL) red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 oz. (1/4 cup) molasses
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. fennel seed
- ½ tsp. French thyme
- ½ tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. roasted granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- Grate carrots and onion; set aside.
- Preheat Electric Casserole to 300o F. Brown short ribs in batches if needed – do not crowd. Remove short ribs.
- Add grated carrots and onion to the skillet and sauté until soft and nice brown bits are lifted from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add entire bottle of wine (or additional stock) and bring to a boil a second time, then turn to Low heat setting.
- Add molasses and all spices. Stir. Return short ribs to skillet. Cover and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Remove ribs from skillet; strain liquid. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour if desired and then skim off any fat.
- Return liquid to skillet and bring to a boil, uncovered, until about 2½ cups of liquid remain.
- Reduce to Low heat setting and return ribs to skillet to reheat.
What can I serve with this? Nutrient-rich barley goes very well with the richness of the beef ribs.